Smart Card Driving Licence: Transportation Administration Office
Smart Card Driving Licence: Transportation Administration Office
A smart card is a plastic card about the size of a credit card, with an embedded microchip similar to SIM cards, which contain information on driver’s identity and vehicle registration number. Department of Transport Management of Nepal is set to take applications for electronic “smart” driving license from mid December, with view of replacing old paper-based licenses. DoTM officials said that the smart licenses will also replace blue books as we know it. Smart card readers will be made available to DoTM staff and traffic police to access data on the card.
Government of Nepal.
Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport
Department of Transport Management
Office of Transportation Management
1. Ekantakuna, Lalitpur or,
2.Thulobhayrang, Kathmandu or,
3. Chabahil, Kathmandu or,
4. Jagati, Bhaktapur
You can choose any one of them.
Required Time and Cost
Time: After completion of written and trial, Smart Driving License will be provided within a month (at best) Cost:
|Types of vechile||Cost|
|For motorcycle and scooter||Rs. 1500/- (*new)|
|Small Vehicles except motorcycle||Rs. 1000/- (*obsolete)|
|Medium Sized vehicles||Rs.1500/-(*obsolete)|
|Big Vehicles||Rs. 2000/- (*obsolete)|
In case of adding more than one category in driving license, the extra cost will be added to the existing fees. To add category:
|Types of vehicle||Cost|
|Small vehicle||Rs. 100/-|
|Medium vehicle||Rs. 250/-|
|Big vehicle||Rs. 500/-|
1. Application form
2. Receipt of paid revenue
3. Original citizenship and its copy. In case of non-Nepali (foreigners), photocopy of passport.
4. Certificate of driving training from certified driving school (Compulsory for 4 wheels and optional for 2 wheels)
(applicable for ekantakuna office) 1. Fill the online application form and print the confirmation page which will give you the date you have to go to transport office. Then paste a ticket of Rs. 10/- Also, get a voucher for health examination (Rs 38/-) (Eye check-up) and blood group (Rs ) and at the same time from a small window right next to the main gate. You will also need one photocopy of citizenship. If possible make a blood group card beforehand to save time (eye check will have to be done at the transport office).
2. Get in a line at room no.8 which in in the bottom floor (processing usually starts at 8 am). You will need to have the following documents a) printed confirmation page with stamp, blood group card with blood group mentioned, original citizenship and 1 photocopy, health examination voucher. Before entering the room, an official (usually standing right next to door) needs to sign your printed page and cancel the stamp. When your turn comes, give your original citizenship and application form to one of the computer operators.
3. S/He will verify your details take your photo from web cam. You have to give stamp of your thump and your signature digitally with a note pen. CONFIRM that all details like spelling and DOB are correct before taking leave of the computer operator.
4. Next step is the eye examination which is in the adjoining room. You will need to read letters on the wall and read a booklet of numbers to test for colour blindness. The doctor will sign your form.
5. Now take your application form and get to room no. 10 and pay Rs. 500 for written exam. You will get two copies of the voucher green and red which is also your entry card for written exam.
6. The written exam is on the next day unless otherwise mentioned or if the next day falls on a public holiday. You have to come to give written exam with both copies of the voucher (Examination usually starts from 7:30 am). The exam room can only occupy about 75 students so the exam happens in multiple phases. Your name with a serial number will be pasted next to the main gate and you need to take note of the serial number to help with attendance sign in. The exam is 20 multiple choice questions with pass marks of 50%. You will give one copy of the voucher with your answer sheet.
7. The exam result are posted on the gate and on facebook and unless you are a complete dunce, you should pass with ease.
8. Usually the trial exam will be on the next morning or the day after the written exam (unless otherwise mentioned or if the next day falls on a public holiday).
9. You will have to pay a fee for the trial exam to use the trial centre (Rs 226 for scooter) which is at Suzuki Driving Center next to the Ekantakuna Transport office. You will also have to bring your original citizenship and remaining copy of the Rs500 voucher.
10. If you pass the trial, the official will give you your voucher back with his/her signature on it.
11. Take this voucher and go the Room no.10 after around 7 days to pay your license dues. (Rs1,500 for bikes and Rs.2000 for car). You will get two receipts with your license number. Congratulations, the only step now remaining is to get your smart card which can take 4-8 months.
For online form
1) Go to the website of Department of Transport Management (http://www.dotm.gov.np/).
2) On the home page of Department of Transport Management, click the link Online Driving License Form located below Introduction.
3) Click on DRIVING LICENSE ONLINE REGISTRATION.
4) In CITIZENSHIP choose NEPAL, then click PROCEED.
5) Fill your personal details in DEMOGRAPHIC DETAILS.
6) After filling the DATE OF BIRTH (DOB) box, age will appear itself.
7) Fill the PERMANENT ADDRESS box.
8) If your permanent and temporary addresses are same, then CHECK out the SAME AS PERMANENT.
9) Choose the category that matches your application. (For now choose 'A' or 'K')
10) Choose OTHERS for PROFESSIONAL AND NON PROFESSIONAL.
11) Select a zone of office where you are going to apply. (For now Bagmati)
12) Select the license's office of that zone.
13) Don't forget to fill the boxes having ASTERISK (*).
14) After filling all the description, click SUBMIT.
15) Click OK when Are you sure you want to continue? message appears.
16) Once check your filled details. If you get any mistake, click EDIT DETAILS to correct.
17) If the details are correct then click SUBMIT.
18) A box showing APPLICANT SAVED SUCCESSFULLY message will pop out.
19) Click OK to continue.
20) All the filled details will show up again.
21) Then click PRINT.
22) Your details and the REFERENCE NUMBER provided to you will be save in 1 page as PDF FILE.
23) After printing those details, go to the concerned office in the given date.
24) If the filled details are wrong or if anything is missing then inform the office operator while giving BIOMETRIC DETAILS.
- If you have an old driving licence, you can get smart card licence while renewing it.
-To add another category in the driving license, written exam is not necessary.
-The result of written and trial exam can be seen through sms and online (For this, you ask to Transportation office)
- You can get help from various books and mobile apps related to written exam.
- If you passed the written exam but failed the trial then within 90 days duration, the trial can be given 3 times. (For this, written exam is not necessary) But if in 90 days duration also the trial exam is not pass then written exam should be given.
- Scooter and motorcycle trial location depends on the transport office you applied to.
- Trial is not allowed to give in own vehicles. For motorcycle, Super Splendor and small vehicle, Suzuki Alto are provided by trial centers. For using those vehicles, about Rs. 50 and Rs. 250 should be paid.
- For learning trial, you can get various videos on YouTube. But to pass the trial, there is no way rather than learning and practicing properly
- The smart card licence will have all the details of your written and trial exams even the number of the test you have failed.
If you are aware of more information then login to share those information.
Source: Administrative procedures 2070 of Office of Transportation Management
Update date: 2073-11-23
Phone number: 9841365944